First, let’s make sure you know about the requirements – all you need is the free Magento platform installed and FTP access to your server:
- Magento Free Community Edition version 1.5.x, 1.6.x, 1.7.x or 1.8.x (clean install recommended).
We recommend the latest stable release which you can download here. Please refer to Magento’s installation instructions on how to install Magento properly. Note that in many cases your hosting provider will install the latest Magento version on your server for free.
- FTP access to the root folder of your Magento installation.
You can use any free FTP software. Once you have a program you can get login credentials for your FTP from your hosting provider.
- Sample data
If you want sample data, you must download it from Magento’s own site and follow the instructions here. Please be aware that you must install the sample data before you install the Magento Community Edition.
As with any development, the preferred method is to NOT install anything directly on a live store. First setup and test on a development domain (i.e. “dev.url.com”). If you are building a completely new store, you can choose to ignore this.
Temporarily disable Magento cache
To avoid any possible issues with the installation we you must disable your Magento cache before proceeding with the installation. Remember to re-enable it once the install is complete.
- Log in to your Magento admin panel
- Navigate to System --> Cache Management
- Click “Select All” checkboxes and in the “Actions” drop down menu select “Disable”
- Click on “Submit” and once the page reloads log out
If you have compilation enabled, remember to disable it before proceeding. It is turned off by default, but if you are installing on an existing store you can check for this in Systems --> Tools --> Compilation
Upload Ultimento files
Please make sure you unzip the folder you downloaded from your account and identify the following four folders inside the “ultimento” folder (which is inside the folder “ultimento-3.x.x”):
- ultimento_cms (Used by the 1-Click Installer to automatically add the CMS Pages and Blocks to your Magento installation)
Using your favorite FTP client, upload the folders to the root folder of your Magento installation. You know you are in the root folder if you see the “app“, “js“ and “skin“ sub-folders.
Only the 4 folders listed above and their content need to be uploaded. The “source“ folder contains PSDs for future editing and does not need to be copied to your server.
Note: Many FTP clients will let you drag the folders to the root folder of your Magento installation. This process will merge the Ultimento app, js and skin files into your Magento installation and add a new ultimento_cms folder as well. Each folder will take a couple of minutes to copy over. At the end you should 1418 files copied over.
Now, please log back in to your Magento admin and follow these steps to finish the installation process:
- In your Magento admin under CMS --> Pages, delete any “home” page you may have (or if you wish to keep it, rename the identifier – both name and URL - to something else and disable it). Remember to click “save page”.
- Go to Ultimento --> Installer and select the Store View where you want to install Ultimento (this is relevant only if you have more than 1 store view)
- Click “Install Now” and wait until the page reloads and displays the confirmation message.
- When done, click the link in the green box to validate Ultimento. (You will be taken to a new screen where you can follow the instructions below)
Validate your copy of Ultimento:
- In your Magento admin, click on Ultimento --> Settings
- On the upper left corner, under “Current Configuration Scope” select your store view (lowest scope level)
- In the field “Put your serial code here” please enter your unique serial code that was sent to your email and click on “Save Config”
Now go back and re-enable your cache:
- Go to System --> Cache Management
- Click “Select All” checkboxes and in the “Actions” drop down menu select “Enable”
You should now see the site up and running.
If you are experiencing a problem or get an error message in the Magento Admin, please make sure you carefully review the installation instructions again. You may have missed a step or overlooked something. You can also go through this checklist to double check:
It could be the cache…
- Make sure you have the Magento compilation disabled under System --> Tools --> Compilation
- Refresh all Magento cache and re-index all data (it may not be enough to have the cache disabled)
- Log out of the admin and log back in
It could be an issue with the serial number…
- Double check that your Ultimento serial is correct for your Base URL
- Please make sure you saved your serial number under the correct store view scope.