Ultimento 3.0 introduced an easy way to customize Ultimento as much as you want without having to worry about overwriting your custom changes when a new Ultimento version is released and you want to update your installation. Here’s the step by step:
Configuring the admin
- In your Magento admin, navigate to System --> Configuration --> Ultimento Settings
- On the upper left corner under the “Current Configuration Scope” drop-down select your Store View (lowest scope level)
- Under the “Ultimento Color Scheme” tab select “Custom”
Copying the files
Connect to your Magento root directory using any FTP tool and follow the procedure below when using one of the themes as a base for your customization as follows:
- Decide which Ultimento theme (i.e. ultimento-dark) you want to use as the base for your customization; you'll be copying files from this theme to pre-populate your custom directory.
- Navigate to /skin/frontend/default/ and copy all the files from the folder of the theme you want to use into the ultimento-custom folder
- Navigate to /app/design/frontend/default/ and copy over only the files you plan on customizing from the folder of the theme you want to use into the ultimento-custom folder. If you copy everything you wont be able to isolate what files need to be changed whenever updates come out. Note: If you are using the natural theme as the base please copy app/design/frontend/default/template over to an ultimento-custom folder. This theme overwrites the top navigation in the "ultimento" folder so needs those files.
Note: The Ultimento Light theme is actually found in the "ultimento" folder instead of "ultimento-light" because it is the default theme.
Once you've copied over the files you want to modify you can do whatever you like. Whenever an upgrade comes out you can copy over the new files as usual because they'll only populate the default Ultimento folders. You can compare your customized files against the new ones to see if you need to make any changes and you'll be set.