Sometimes you need to provide customers with links in your navigation header that go to pages that are on sites other than your Magento store. It may be a blog of yours, an informational site, a second store, etc. Thankfully, Magento makes this easy to do!
There are a few steps here that you need to pay close attention to, but once you get the gist of what's being done you'll find it all makes sense.
- Log in to your Magento Admin Panel and navigate to Catalog > Manage Categories
- Click on your root category (lowest level) and then select "Add Subcategory"
- Add the name of your new link and make sure to set the subcategory to "Active" and include it in the Navigation Menu. For the URL key field put in the name of your new link in all lower case with dashes instead of spaces. Then hit "Save"!
- Now navigate to Catalog > URL Rewrite Management and look for the page your just created under the Request Path column and select it
- Save the information under Target Path for later and change the Redirect entry to "301". Hit "Save"!
- Now select Add URL Rewrite and choose Custom under the URL Rewrite pulldown
- A new page will display and put in your URL key from step 3 into ID Path, put the Target Path you saved in step 5 into Request Path, type in the URL you want the link to point to into Target Path, and select 301 for the Redirect
- Save one last time, refresh your site, and you'll be set