In many cases it can make sense to add a block of text and/or images above the products that show up when a customer navigates to one of your category pages. You may want lifestyle shots of some of your products in action. Maybe text giving a background on what the products in the category do or how they work. Some sites even create image links of sub-categories here to make the navigation obvious and direct.
Check out the Commative Custom Work page to see an example.
Adding a "block" of content on your category page is extremely easy. Here's how you do it...
1) Log in to your Magento Admin Panel and navigate to CMS > Static Blocks
2) Create a new static block and give it a name that fits the category you're going to link it to
3) Fill the Content section of this block with whatever you want to appear in your category. You'll probably need to do a lot of back and forth editing of this field until you get the look and fit exactly as you like it
4) Now navigate to Catalog > Manage Categories and select the category in question on the left
5) Click on Display Settings and set the Display Mode field to "Static block and products"
6) Under CMS Block select the block you created in step 2
7) Hit save, refresh the page, and you're done!