This question is the ultimate balancing act. Do you keep what you have and save all the time of testing a new version, or do you upgrade to the latest and greatest and put in the effort to make sure everything runs smoothly? Measuring the options should be straightforward.
Stick with what you've got
- Is your site up and running?
- Is it free of major malfunction and problems?
- Are you ok not having the latest miracle feature that promises to make your site 1,000% better than it is today?
If you can say yes to all of this then you're best off not upgrading. There's always a risk when upgrading that something can break so its best not to take the plunge unless there's a good reason.
Take the dive
- Are you having problems with your site?
- Do you have features or basic functionality that isn't working as it should?
- Is there a new feature in the latest release that you have to have?
If any of these are true then its probably a good idea to upgrade. Magento is always coming out with fixes to newly discovered bugs and there are countless extensions out there that can really add to your site. Just always make sure you back up everything before you perform any kind of upgrade. You probably wont need it, but better safe than sorry. Also, don't forget to test everything you can before you go live with your new software, you don't want to run into unexpected problems.